Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Travel Tuesday no.26 // Maui

Travel Tuesday is back! I realized the other day that the most recent one I did was months ago, of my last trip in 2014 (Seattle), and I haven't shared any photos of my adventures this year yet. So I'm starting this series up again with a family trip I took to Hawaii back in March. If it seems like Hawaii overload on the blog at the moment, don't worry - I plan on sharing the first part of my Taiwan travel mini later this week so stay tuned for that.

This was my very first time going to Hawaii! We started our trip off in Maui and spent about four days here, just chilling and exploring the island. I haven't gone on a beach vacation in a while so it was a nice change of pace to take the days slow and keep things low-key. We also practiced a lot of patience since it is very different traveling with a three year old and a nine month old. There were a lot of activities and long drives we didn't do, choosing instead to stick to areas close to our resort and to enjoy the sunshine and the waters.
Napili Bay was one of my favorite places and we spent our first afternoon hanging out here at the beach. The water was absolutely pristine and it felt so nice to take a dip since the sun was shining directly overhead at one point, making the sand feel incredibly hot. We also ate at the Sea House restaurant by the beach which had really friendly service and great food.
We visited Lahaina twice, our first time being after our sailing trip to Lanai (I'll leave that one for a separate post). There were a lot of beautiful art galleries there, as well as local shops and various restaurants. The famous banyan tree was a fun place to take photos at! My nephew loved running around under the giant tree.
I had to try out Ululani's shave ice after hearing rave reviews. It was so delicious I had it twice during our stay in Maui :) I have to say it was my favorite shave ice that we ate - even compared to the ones we tried in Oahu.

One of our afternoons was spent at Maui Ocean Center, which was fairly small but had some pretty nice exhibits. We mainly went for the kids but it was a great experience for all of us. I loved seeing the baby sea turtles and the sharks.
We went to Lahaina a second time in the late afternoon on our way back to our resort and had dinner at Cheeseburger in Paradise, which had a beautiful views of the ocean and pretty decent burgers. Yum. 
On our last day before going to the airport, we took a detour to Iao Valley. It was so scenic and the ever shifting fog made the area seem somewhat ethereal as we wandered and took in the beautiful views. We also stopped by the Kepaniwai Park Heritage Gardens where we learned a bit about Hawaii's various immigrants. My parents were particularly interested in the Dr. Sun Yat Sen area which had quite detailed information on his life in Hawaii. I thought that was pretty cool because my knowledge of Chinese history is very limited and I had no idea he even lived here. I'm glad we made a stop here before heading to catch our plane to Honolulu!


I have a few more Hawaii travel posts to write up, and then some more recent trips to share. Even though this trip happened months ago, I love looking back at these photos and reminiscing about our adventures. That's one of my favorite things about photography and memory keeping. Thanks for taking a walk down memory lane with me. Happy Tuesday!

10 comments:

  1. TFS. Every single photo is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered doing a blog post/tutorial on how you get such gorgeous pictures? Even your food shots are amazing. I would love some tips on how you do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where to start! I'm a bit obsessive with photography, especially when I travel, but I still consider myself an amateur! But thank you for your kind comments :)

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are always so crisp and clear...I've been to Maui and taken very similar photos but they never turn out like yours - how do you do that!? Can you share with us what kind of camera you use and if you use filters? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I shoot with a Nikon d80 DSLR camera and post-process my photos in Photoshop + RadLab.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are always so beautiful! I second the request for a blog post on photography tips. Or even an online class! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I consider myself an amateur still...but I'll see what I can think of for a blog post :)

      Delete